![]() |
The film took more than a year to make and involved Thompson taking five clandestine trips into Zimbabwe, smuggling in large-format film equipment that was difficult to conceal. Despite his experiences as a cameraman in hostile environments such as Afghanistan and Iraq, he says he has never worked in a more terrifying place and was quite unprepared for the threatening atmosphere of Mugabe’s Zimbabwe.
'Ben had told me about a cloud of fear that hung over the country but I don’t think I really appreciated it until I began making this film there. In Gaza, for example, if you have a permit you can film everything all the time. In Zimbabwe, there are no permits and you never know what will happen next. It is a very intimidating place, ruled by fear, but that’s precisely what Mugabe wants the country to be like.’I remember the UK forcing South Africa to close the border to force Ian Smith to hand over power to Mugabe. UK put Mugabe in power, and has left the people of Zimbabwe to their fate.
Why don't they force the issue by forcing SA to close their borders. They did it before why not now!!!
-- Dave on January 08, 2010 at 07:04 PM
A violent African dictator.
African thugs, rape, violence, murder.
Hatred of white people, who grow the food to feed everyone.
Collapse of society when the whites leave.
(This pretty much describes every African country I know of.)
-- Gerald Holmes on January 08, 2010, at 07:04 PM
Read more »

No comments:
Post a Comment