
Prozac nation (2001)
Autobiographical description of Elizabeth Wurtzel
(Christina Ricci) who in the 80s entered the
Harvard's Journalism Education. She writes a
music review that is praised by Rolling Stones
and becomes best friends with her roommate.
Life goes on rails and life is about to burst with happiness.
But Elizabeth is suffering from a depression-related illness that really splits everything in her life.
She begins to bend, do drugs, sleep with the wrong guys, all at the same time.
She looses control and fail to write anything, either.
Her mother (Jessica Lange) sells his house to
pay for Elizabeth's therapy, her father won't see her.
Elizabeth's destructive life destroy her
relationship with her boyfriend Rafe (Jason Biggs).
The title refers to Prozac, a term that
has become the generic term for all
antidepressants. The
is millions of people that are taking antidepressants,
and it works, but often with side effects. But it
has become an increasingly common solution to a very large
disease in the world, depression.

Christina Ricci is a awesome and talented actress.
She captures
the Depression in a little box.
Jessica Lange is also impressive as the
anxious mother.

control more and more. The film had difficulty both in
U.S. and in Europe for distribution. I personally believe
that this is because the film most suitable for people
who are depressed. I think for others it is difficult to see
the link between self-mutilation and depression, and may
therefore be difficult to feel sympathy for Ricci who in many
scenes seems mostly to be a real "bitch".
I recommend the movie for anyone who has
depression-related illnesses or suffer from
winter depression.

To me the movie was a true inspiration to start to write. And I read the book,
and it is not a bad book, I have read it more than once, but it has its flaws.
Elizabeth Wurtzel is a extremely talented writer, but instead of continuing writing,
she went to law school, and is a lawyer at the moment.
Never the less, I recommend it, since it is probably the most current self reflecting
Never the less, I recommend it, since it is probably the most current self reflecting
book on depression.
No comments:
Post a Comment