Thursday, December 30, 2010

Top 10 - Mindbending movies


This is my top 10 list of mind bending movies that will twist and bend your mind forever.

I really love movies; they have a way for me personally to escape the grey of reality, when life seems boring and pointless. And quoting the line from “Dead poet society”, it is important to look at things from different perspectives. And there are a couple of movies that twist and bend your mind in a way that makes you consider life in a different life, and reflect over things you have not considered fully before.

Top 10 (starting from the last on the list)

10 Matrix (1999)
Well, this one probably most people haven’t noticed. My uncle wrote a best seller book in Poland that had the same title. But it was about the communistic censorship in Poland during the 80’s. Matrix, the movie however is sort of about the same thing. Matrix, the movie is about a society with a covered sight of reality. And it probably made most people intrigued about how obvious things that we take for granted are not always so obvious or even true.
Favorite part: When Neo actually becomes the one, after dying. I sort of spoil the end here, but I figure most people have seen it.


09 Memento (2000)
Memento is a very creative and inspiring way to make a movie. We see the movie backwards, with a main character that has a short memory loss. And the story (amazing script) takes us slowly backwards, and uncovers all sorts of things, with a message “be careful, you may not like what you dig up”.
Favorite part: Obviously the ending that fully explains the beginning.




08 Inception (2010)
Inception is a new movie that has a complex story. And to be honest I had to rewatch the movies several times, to fully understand it. The most difficult thing in the movie to understand is probably the different levels of dream state. There is a moment in the movie where the action is tight at 4 levels of dream. Made me consider what is really reality, and how I really have no way of ever knowing what is real and what is not.
Favorite part: When Arthur (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) fights in the hall and the gravity shifts.



07 Moon (2009)
This is a movie that I don’t want to talk much about, because I am afraid it might ruin the ending for you, if I explain what bended my mind. Let us just say, that it makes you consider if memories really constitute “your” life.
Favorite part: When Sam Bell (Sam Rockwell) hears the truth from the computer (Kevin Spacey). Very emotional scene.





06 the adventures of Baron Munchausen (1988)
This cult classic is on my list. There is really no subtle message here. But the way the movie is shot, everything is just magically weird and unlike anything you have ever seen. Forget big CGI effects, there are none of those here. But it is classic Terry Gilliam movie with all kinds of paradoxal elements.
Favorite part: Climbing down from the tip of the moon with a rope ( a piece of hear from the queen of the moon), then realizing that they need more rope, so they cut of the top of the rop, to tie it to the end.



05 Mouth of madness (1995)
A early John Carpenter movie, starring Sam O’neil. It is a bit of a horror movie actually. And it has a excellent script, a great idea for a movie or a concept. I can’t say much more (afraid to spoil the movie). But it is about a investigator who is to look for a world famous horror writer (like Stephen king) who has gone missing. Finding him, does also make him crazy. This is a part of John Carpenter so called Apocalypse trilogy (the others being Prince of darkness and the Thing).
Favorite part: By far, the ending scene in the cinema.



04 Fight club (1999)
The book was amazing, but believe it or not, the movie is better! The ending is far superior. Consider however that the author wrote the script, so you can sort of say that he improved his already brilliant book. This is about the hypocrisy of society and how people have become consumer slaves. Ikea, Hugo boss, Martha Stewart. We live in a society where the goal of our lives is to figure out things like “what kind of sofa defines me as a person.” It really made me conscious about life. When I saw it in the cinema, I had to go for a 4 hour walk just thinking about the movie.
Favorite part: “In Tyler Durden we trust”.



03 13th floor (1999)
I wish I could describe why this movie will bend your mind, but again it would only ruin the ending. I will only briefly tell you about the story. It is about some people who have designed a videogame society (like the sims) where they have created a society in the 50’s. With AI people inside that don’t know that they are not real. Amazing story!! It is highly recommended.
Favorite part: When Douglas goes for a long drive. hehe



02 Dark City (1998)
The only bad thing about Dark City, is the intro which I recommend people to flip, because it sort of ruins the big surprise in the end of the movie. I have no idea why they put the intro there. Short synopsis, a guy wakes up in a apartment, doesn’t remember who he is, or where he is. But something is very wrong with the city he lives in, it is always night time, and in the deep of the night, everyone around him falls asleep and the city reconstructs magically. The truth he uncovers is amazing. (If you liked Matrix, you will probably like this one too.)
Favorite part: Kiefers Southerlands mad scientist character. It is the “jack sparrow character” of his career.

01 Cube (1997)
Okey, this is the most mind bending movie I have ever seen. The cube has a very simple set-up. It is about 5 people who wake up in a room, with 6 exits, all lead to identical rooms, but some in traps. They don’t remember how they got there, or where they are. Now a lot of people don’t get “the cube” and I don’t blame them. But if you consider the “philosophy” of the discussions, where they try to think of the reason why someone would build a cube or put them there. And the conclusion they come to. Well, let’s just say, it really twists and bends your mind as far as your life’s purpose is concerned. I recommend this one extremely, but it is important to keep a very open mind about it.


Favorite part: The discussion where they all give their theory on who built the cube and for what purpose. The theory of Worth (a character) make me stop breathing when I hear it.


And that is my top 10 list of mind bending movies that will twist and bend your mind forever.

other top 10 lists you might enjoy:












ps.
By the way, I wanted to ask my readers to do me a huge favor. There is a "facebook fanpage", and if you like this blog, please click on it. It is sort of a way for me to see if people like the blog or not.

Technorati-taggar: ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

FREE HOT VIDEO 1 | HOT GIRL GALERRY 1

FREE HOT VIDEO 2 | HOT GIRL GALERRY 2

FREE HOT VIDEO 3 | HOT GIRL GALERRY 3

FREE HOT VIDEO 4 | HOT GIRL GALERRY 4

FREE HOT VIDEO 5 | HOT GIRL GALERRY 5

FREE HOT VIDEO 6 | HOT GIRL GALERRY 6

FREE HOT VIDEO 7 | HOT GIRL GALERRY 7

FREE HOT VIDEO 8 | HOT GIRL GALERRY 8

FREE HOT VIDEO 9 | HOT GIRL GALERRY 9

FREE HOT VIDEO 10 | HOT GIRL GALERRY 10

FREE HOT VIDEO 11 | HOT GIRL GALERRY 11